My First Ticket

My first ticket - I'm not talking about my first flight ticket, or first cruise ticket. I'm talking about the "पर्ची काटो प्रक्रिया"; i.e. the challan given by traffic police in US.

Few days back,  me and wifey were driving to a hospital in nearby city, totally guided by our friend - Google Navigator. We were on the interstate highway driving at 65 mph, when suddenly my friend Google Navigator said "take the next exit"; and of course, I obeyed it.

After entering the town, the speed sign changed to 45 mph and soon to 25 mph; but, do we ever care (इन्दौरी में बोले तो "अपन कभी सुनते हैं क्या?").

Besides that, have you ever, I mean ever ever ever, drove at 40 kmph on an nearly empty road right after driving at beyond 100 kmph. Ever? If you say "yes" then I would say "चल हट झूठे, Liar". I could even say "झूठ बोलना पाप है, नदी किनारे सांप है!"

However, I did reduce my speed to a decent limit (don't ask how decent, but decent enough in India).

Hardly after five minutes or so, my friend Google Navigator said "You've arrived at your destination" and I was like "Where?". On the screen, there was no road ( route had ended); on the road, there was no screen (signboard).

Through corner of my eye, I saw a police bike parked on the side of road, with lights flashing and I said to wifey "someone is going to get a ticket today (कोई तो कटने वाला है आज )".

Few minutes later I saw in mirror that the cop was behind us, flashing all the lights of his bike; pointing to pull over. I tried to find another vehicle on the road whom he might be following, but ours was the only one. So, I pulled over to the side and he parked his bike and came towards me.
I was shocked to hear what he said: "Sir, please remain seated". I know you're thinking the same thing that I was thinking "पुलिसवाला, वो भी इतनी इज्जत से बात कर रहा है". I was so delighted that I forgot that I'm about to be penalized. आँखों में आंसू नहीं आये, बस!

He said, "Sir, do you know you were over-speeding"; I said "what"?
He said "you were driving at 40 mph in a 25 mph zone"; I wanted to say "so what, that's not even double", but said "oh, I didn't know that".
He asked for my license and I gave him my Indian driving license. He looked perplexed for sometime; after all - it's not everyday that an American cop gets to see a plastic card that is dyed with blue colour on one side and has photo of a kid (me - a few decades back) on the other side. He was so confused that I almost wanted to say "keep it, if you want. I will get another one. After all, I've a coloured photocopy at home, that looks exactly like this license".

Anyways, rest was the usual stuff - except लेन - देन  की बात; and that was how I got my first ticket.... and hopefully the last ticket :)


7 comments:

Upendra Jariya said...

How much ? And BTW, did you also have a US driving license ?

Shailendra Verma said...

Hehe, Gul paji.

Kitne ki padi tumhari driving? Uss officer ko thoda gyan etc dekar thoda kum par settle down kar lete as Indories do !!

Anand Mohan Shrivastava said...

@UJ - US ka DL nahi hai abhi tak to. That's also a pending task.
@Shailu - Actually when I told him that I was going to hospital, he decided to give me a citation instead of regular ticket. A citation won't go down my history and won't impact insurance etc.
Waise total 165$ lag gaye.

Mahesh said...

KOI BAAT nahi.....
TOYOTA camery jitni ki kharidi ho, us keemat me yeah bhi add kar lena..

Waise car kitne KI kharidi THI...

waise waha dollar aise kharch na karo.... Jab india aaoge to unki keemat mallom padegi..... waise HAPPY dRIVING

tyty said...

Puri kahani mey ye nahi samajha ki google navigator ney sahi address par kyon nahi bheja?

tyty said...

Puri kahani mey ye nahi samajha ki google navigator ney sahi address par kyon nahi pahuchaya?

Anand Mohan Shrivastava said...

it's surprising but happens; sometimes Google navigator does NOT take you to exact destination.
Mere case mein, usne mujhe ek building pahle hi bata diya ki pahunch gaye; aur main hospital ka signboard dhoond raha tha...

AMS Google Ad